International joint master study programme International Tourism Events Management (ITEM) is the result of common efforts of five universities –Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences (Latvia) and Klaipeda University (Lithuania) with a significant contribution of collaborating partner universities of Manchester Metropolitan University (United Kingdom), International Centre of Studies on Tourist Economics (Italy), Estonian School of Hotel and Tourism Management (Estonia) and the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Latvia (Latvia). Preparation of joint master program was financed by EU Lifelong Learning Programme within the project International Tourism and Events Management (2012-2014) ITEM (527698-LLP-1-2012-1-LV-ERASMUS-EMCR).
The aim of the ITEM program is designed towards requirements of public needs and the needs of the labour market: to train competent and creative young experts with advanced interdisciplinary knowledge in international tourism events management strengthening competitive advantages of being able widely to use ICT competencies and with personal abilities that tourism and event organisations demand to face future’s critical challenges.
- Securing of excellent English language skills via dialog and active communication by use of it as an working language;
- Applying of innovative teaching methods by combining use of ICT tools and Live Project Student group consultancy module;
- Developing of personal skills and capabilities based on market demand, targeted knowledge of the professional field, platform of internationalisation, elastic study environment and leading towards business leadership and self-employability.
Based on the reserch "Tourism Companies and the Competitive Environment. Needs Analysis and employability“ the ITEM program is targeted to provide students with competitive advantages in the labour market. Both – to be emplyed by organisations and establish own enterprise are of great value. Development of entrepreneurial skills are among others during the ITEM study process. Tourism and hospitality sector is growing, MICE tourism and corporate events beside of events in general are one of tourism development political priorities.
International tourism events management specialists will be familiar with and able to apply research techniques, to manage the international tourism events and processes in the real and virtual environment, to rise and appropriately use financial resources and marketing expertise for raising competitiveness. International tourism events management graduates will be able to develop national and regional tourism services exports, to promote MICE tourism business in conference centres, accommodation establishments, accommodation business chains and municipal territories and other tourism destinations.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
- Perform detailed needs and employability analysis in order to provide framework and justification for the content of the modules;
- Develop and adapt a student group consultancy project module;
- Summarize and exchange the best practice in using the virtual learning environment;
- Develop and adapt the content of the programme and foreseen modules;
- Work out the organizational framework for the jointly delivered study programme;
- Design a joint quality assurance and evaluation policy;
- Develop and launch cooperation model with industry;
- Develop a sustainability plan;
- Stimulate close cooperation in the modernisation of higher education.
Please note that the next intake is planned for autumn 2020.
For further information, get in touch with International Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.