Updated on January 15th, 2021
Description of the project:
Artificial Intelligence (AI) support for accelerated math acquisition approach (AI4Math) is an interdisciplinary, industrial research project with no connections to economic activity. The project promotes the development of human resources by using collaboration between specialists in mathematics, pedagogy and ICT sectors. It is done by increasing the diversity, involvement and compliance of mathematical education for the future needs of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) sectors.
The research scientific purpose is to develop a mathematics support strategy for general education schools by using AI, Big Data, and stimulating learning approaches. This contributes to the 5th area (ICT) and 5th growth priority of the Smart Specialization Strategy (SSS) for promoting development of a modern and future labor market-oriented education system. This promotes economic transformation.
Also, businesses will continue to develop digitally to shape the next generation of entrepreneurship and seek ways for future growth. It is clear, that every future technology title (Blockchain, Big Data, Virtual Reality, AI, Cloud Computing, Cyber Security, Cryptocurrency, Robotic, Quantum computing etc) is based on mathematical skills. The 2018 Accenture study “How to accelerate skills acquisition in the age of intelligent technologies?” indicates that if the development of skills does not go hand in hand with technological progress the G20 economy could lose up to $11.5 trillion over the next ten years, i.e. 1.1% of GDP growth. Accenture points out that it is time to use the latest learning methods and approaches, as well as help policy makers and heads of educational institutions, implement innovative strategies that will change the way we teach and learn. This verifies the need for the proposed research to significantly improve the quality of learning in mathematics. This will significantly improve students' learning and creativity skills as well as increase the number of pupils who choose to study in the STEM sector in the future.
Planned project results:
1. A comparative study on changes in the behavior of users in the digital age
2. An interdisciplinary, AI-based technology prototype for learning mathematics with Big Data approach for growth assessment and adapt the functionality to suit the curriculum of general education in mathematics
3. An innovative support strategy by testing and implementing new technologies and approaches in teaching mathematics
Project implementation period: 01.04.2020. – 31.03.2023.
Project number: 184.108.40.206/VIAA/3/19/564
Project manager: dr.math, HESPI researcher Aija Cunska
Scientific advisor to the project: dr.phys. Atis Kapenieks
- Targeted project management
- A comparative assessment of digital age users' behavioral changes
- Interdisciplinary AI-based technology prototype
- Incentive approach strategy for learning mathematics
SIA „Riga Coding School”
Republikas laukums 3-16
Ventspils Augsto Tehnoloģiju parks 1
Gateway School of English GSE
No.1, Bosfru Street, San Gwann (St Julian’s)
- Presentation of the project idea at a monthly postdoctoral seminar (April, 2020).
- A description of the quality plan for the sub-activity “WP1.1. Informative guide and quality plan of the research project” activity “WP1. Purposeful Project Management ”(April, 2020).
- An informative manual for the sub-activity “WP1.1. Informative guide and quality plan of the research project” activity “ WP1. Purposeful Project Management ”(May, 2020).
- Participation and obtaining a certificate in the online study course “Elements of Artificial Intelligence” (in cooperation with RTU and the University of Helsinki) (May, 2020).
- Implemented professional development course on Big Data Analysis with Python (in cooperation with SIA “Riga Coding School”) (June - August, 2020).
- Submitted and approved theses for the international scientific conference ICEEPSY`2020 (The International Conference on Education and Educational Psychology) (June, 2020).
- Participation in professional development courses on Big Data Analysis with SQL (in cooperation with SIA “Riga Coding School”) in the framework of activity WP2.5. (September-October, 2020).
- Prepared and submitted a publication “Effective Learning Strategies and Artificial Intelligence support for accelerated math acquisition” for the conference ICEEPSY`2020 (The International Conference on Education and Educational Psychology) in the framework of activity WP2.4. (September, 2020)
- Participation and presentation in the conference ICEEPSY`2020 (The International Conference on Education and Educational Psychology) in the framework of activity WP2.4. (October 6-8, 2020) on the topic “Effective Learning Strategies and Artificial Intelligence support for accelerated math acquisition”.
- Preparing and presenting a practical seminar at the 11th conference of Vidzeme University - practical seminar for teachers “INTEGRATION OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGIES IN THE LEARNING PROCESS” in the framework of activities WP2.7. and WP2.9. (October 21, 2020), presenting the results of the project.
- Leading a focus group discussion at Trikāta Elementary School, Beverīna region with the aim to involve school management and teachers of mathematics in identifying problems during the distance learning period (October 14, 2020).
- Submitted theses for the international scientific conference INTED`2021 (The 15th annual International Technology, Education and Development Conference) (November, 2020).